Monday, October 6, 2008

Rules (based on the ahaddith)

Bismillah...

I am not a scholar, of course, so these "rules" were created based on my limited understanding of the ahaddith that I already posted. Whether I mistook the true meaning behind the haddith I was reading or not, they make sense to me, and I hope, inshaAllah, that these tips are sound enough advice to follow. For the next three months I am my own "guinea pig", so I am not trying to pass this off as a ligitimate weight loss plan. I just want to try to follow the Sunnah of eating more closely and see if it can help me feel healthier and look better.

Start your meal with “Bismillah.”

۞Use your right hand to eat (and drink.)

۞Do not over eat or stuff yourself.

۞Use moderation and portion control.

۞Use self control.

۞Do not satisfy your hunger fully three days in a row.

۞Eat LESS and drink MORE.

۞Use 3 dates and water as a snack to “tide you over.” (or 7 if you feel really hungry.)

۞Rinse you mouth after drinking milk (due to fat content.)

۞Do not dine in extravagance. Simplicity and moderation is best.

۞Get by on half (or two thirds) of what you normally eat.

۞Eat slowly and stop before you are totally full or when you no longer feel hungry.

۞Chew your food slowly.

۞Do not recline like a lazy person, sit up (so your food digests properly.)

۞Respect your food.

۞Do not drink (or eat) directly from the container.

۞Do not breath heavily, or spit back into the drink container.

۞Take a sip and then take a breath. (Breathe into between sips, 3 at a time. Do not take large gulps.)

۞Do not insult someone’s cooking.

۞If you like it, eat it (in moderation.) Do not deprive yourself.

۞If you don’t like, don’t eat it. (And don’t put it on your plate and waste it.)

۞Enjoy sweets in moderation, do not deprive yourself.

۞Eat dates (or take bites) one at a time. (Finish one bite before taking another.)

۞Do not eat garlic right before going to the masjid. (Rinse your mouth and brush your teeth thoroughly whenever you eat garlic.)

۞Lick your fingers when you are finished eating.

۞Invite others to join in your meal, no matter their status, or the amount of food being served.

۞When eating with others, pass food to the right.

۞If you are eating dinner at the time of Isha iqama, finish your meal before praying.

۞Say Alhumdulillah (at least) after eating.

۞Cover your food at night, put it away, saying bismillah.

1 comment:

Akram said...

The more I learn about Islam the more I feel it to be an excellent religion. I'm proud to be a Musalmaan.